This district has existed in its present form since the formation of Councils in 1900. The arrangement, which brings together part of Takitimu with Ngāti Porou and Gisborne iwi, was settled by Sir Apirana Ngata and Sir James Carroll when the Councils formed under the Māori Councils Act 1900. Later, from 1928, the Wairoa Executive was chaired by Sir Turi Carroll who became the first President of the New Zealand Māori Council in 1962. The Tairawhiti District Māori Council has the same boundaries as the Tai Rawhiti Māori Land Court District. The boundary with Takitimu is the Mohaka river.